Breeders not familiar with the Hungarian mangalica breed lose a lot. If you grow the breed for meat, they will surpass ordinary piglets, thanks to a good increase in weight, unpretentious conditions, omnivorous.
Hungarian mangalica breed is hard to be confused with any other. Incredibly long and curly hair covers a powerful torso, like a lamb. For the fact that, crossed wild boar and domestic pig, the breed was hardy.
May winter in the open air with severe frosts. Animals feed on absolutely all pasture contents: cut grass, roots, acorns, fish, snails, any vegetables, pumpkin rinds.
According to the wool color, the rock is divided into several subspecies: white, red, black, mixed mangalica. Among them, a larger percentage is occupied by the representatives of the white color.
Red and black subspecies on the verge of extinction. Voluntary communities are trying to grow extinct species in order to increase them. Therefore, selling them is strictly prohibited.
If we talk about the meat of the Hungarian mangalica, then it wins before the samples of simple pigs. It is classified as «delicacy.» The consistency of meat is notable for its special tenderness, juiciness, due to the content of thin layers of fat, even in tenderloin.
During preparation, it dissolves, which explains its delicate and juicy structure. The taste of the meat has not only a unique taste, it is also dietary, because it does not contain cholesterol. It is processed and absorbed by the body easily, due to beneficial trace elements.
Meat having such characteristics is used in the preparation of the Spanish Jamon. The cost of the product in the capital of Russia is estimated at 16,800 rubles per kg, but it can be found in individual stores.
Description of breed Hungarian mangalitsa
According to the external forms of pigs, Hungarian mangalica determine strength, strength, health, pedigree. In the photo, Hungarian mangalica is shown in winter, when its hair is long and curly.
In the summer, it becomes shorter and straightens. The color of the coat also changes with the onset of summer — it becomes brown-yellow. All due to the fact that the skin is dark. In the summer, it can be clearly seen under the straight coat, it seems that there was a color change. Molding under favorable conditions of the content takes place in the spring. With poor nutrition, wool replacement is delayed.
If in the summer there is a curly pig — this is its minus, but not a plus. This is another distinctive feature of purebred species. Sometimes this breed is called the Hungarian down mangalica, but they all belong to the white mangalica.
Based on the characteristics of the cover, it can be concluded that animals are hardy. About the productivity of the Hungarian mangalitsa can be judged by a strong physique. Straight and even back indicates a well-developed, powerful bones, with an average height.
Adult specimens at an annual age weigh on average up to 160 kg, two-year-olds — 300. The profile of the head is slightly curved, the size is average. Legs strong, straight set.
Characteristic of purebred breed, are the ears. Their shape is straight but slightly lowered down. A prerequisite for the appearance of the ears is a black spot in the center, near the head. It is called the “Wellman’s Spot” of a small diameter of about 3-5 cm.
Some details that are unique to purebred animals. These are black colored or pigmented parts of the body. This includes the nipples of the pig, the tail from the inside, the hooves, the nose, eyes, mouth, eyelashes.
The fertility of the animal is at the same time a characteristic feature of mangalica and its disadvantage. They can not have more than 6 kids in the first year and 10 in the next, no matter how the scientists struggle with this problem. The second drawback is low milkiness, but the nipples are evenly distributed from each other. What makes it possible to feed all the pigs at once.
Care and maintenance of Hungarian mangalica
- Prepare a place for winter and summer pigs Hungarian mangalitsa. Be sure to have a zhizhesbornik so that animals do not suffer from urine fumes. Although, they can spend the winter outside, but favorable conditions will increase productivity.
- Highlight area for walking. Air baths strengthen the immune system, stimulate growth. Lack of them provoke diseases of rickets. If you adjust the feeders for food during walks, Hungarian mangalica piglets will be able to defecate. This will save the owners from unnecessary cleaning.
- Monthly disinfect pigsty.
- Bring animals to the air in the winter for preventive purposes, if they live indoors. Pigs will get rid of viruses that die at minus temperatures.
- To monitor the humidity, the rate is 70%.
- To exclude indoors drafts, dampness.
- Clean food after each feeding.
- Timely vaccinations, although experienced pig producers consider the procedure optional. Since the breed is resistant to diseases.
- Carry out castration at the age of 30 days, if boars are raised for meat, fat. The final product will get rid of the unpleasant smell.
- It is possible to sell young stock not earlier than 1 month, when it will fully switch to independent feeding.
Observe the diet:
- adults feed three times a day if they are indoors;
- small piglets up to 3 months — 5 times;
- young animals up to 5 months — 4.
- Feeding a newborn pig:
- for several days (3 days), the baby eats only maternal colostrum;
- to accustom to water after 3 days of life;
- feed (on day 5) mineral concentrates, cow’s milk in diluted form;
- on day 7, inject liquid porridges, hay from beans, bone meal, red clay, salt; green grass in the form of nettle, clover feed after 15 days;
- at the age of 1 month, the pig independently begins to use vegetables and fruits. At this age, the stripedness of babies disappears, they must be weaned from the mother.
It is worth taking note of novice pig farmers, all supplements to enter in small doses. Adult animals are omnivores, they gladly feed on the remnants of harvested crops, chew grass, eat acorns, do not squeamish algae. Do not forget that healthy nutrients, minerals, vitamins are also necessary for them.
Pigs love sweet carrots, beets, beet pulp, raw potatoes. Not bad they cope with the corn cobs. But the main condition for the proper maintenance of the Hungarian mangalitsa, is the presence of a reservoir.
Price and reviews
Hungarian mangalitsa piglets are bred on a large scale in Austria and Hungary. Hungarian mangalica sales and export from countries is prohibited. But for some reason, they still get on the domestic market, and still manage to buy Hungarian mangalitsa.
If you look at the pages of the site, you can find a lot of amateur pig producers offering to sell a known breed in the form of young animals or meat. The price of the Hungarian mangalica of one individual at the age of 1 month varies from 15 thousand rubles and above.
You can hear a lot of reviews about the Hungarian mangalitsa. Positive reviews of the breed deserve for their characteristics. It is believed that it is much easier to maintain a known breed, they are unpretentious in food, conditions of detention. According to them, if you grow the breed as a business, then this is the right investment. But since purebred breeds are rare here, you can purchase a hybrid.
The difference here is the following: the young should only be striped until a month of age, then the color changes. Another feature of the pure breed is the first litter up to 6 piglets, the second up to 10. If a larger number, then a hybrid.
Animals gain weight well only on pasture up to 200 kg in 14 months, but if you include potatoes, corn, barley in the diet, the procedure will accelerate, and such weight can be obtained at the age of six months.
A rare breed in our regions is in demand, so there are no problems with implementation. Hence the profit. Advice from experienced pig breeders — to buy young stock in proven farms, with good reviews and credibility.